A cyber threat is any action or event that could result in an unwanted impact on IT infrastructures.
These could include cybercriminals, cyberattacks, security vulnerabilities, and potential attack vectors.
The 5 most common cyber threats are:
- Social engineering
- DDoS attacks
- Third-party Software
- Cloud technology vulnerabilities
How to Address Cyber Threats
The impact of cyber threats can be significantly reduced with the right security controls. The following list of controls will address a broad range of threats, giving organizations the highest chances of achieving cyber resilience.
- Train staff to recognize common cyber threats and cybercriminal tactics.
- Keep all software updated.
- Monitor both the internal and external attack surfaces for vulnerabilities.
- Use a firewall and keep it updated.
- Manage all user access.
- Implement multi-factor authentication.
Awareness training is the best method of cyber threat mitigation since humans are the weakest links in every security program.
The 5 biggest threats to cybersecurity in 2021 include:
- Uneducated staff
- Phishing attacks
- Data leakage
- Data breaches
- Insider threats